Build shared, green prosperity

ESPN-Quote:

i. We will transform the European economy to build green, shared prosperity. Today, we are unprepared for a changing climate. Many municipalities lack the resources to transition to more sustainable sources of energy. Others lack the capacity to protect citizens from environmental catastrophes. This is not only a danger to European citizens. It is also a missed opportunity to rebuild the continent’s infrastructure and enshrine sustainability in the process.

ii. We are calling for a Green Investment-led Recovery Program of €500 billion to be invested annually in a Green Energy, Transport & Transition (GETT) programme. GETT will be financed entirely via Green investment bonds issued by Europe’s public investment bank institutions, and backed by an alliance of Europe’s Central Banks, which will stand ready to intervene in the secondary bonds markets in case the Green investment bond yields begin to rise. A new Organisation for the European Green Transition (OEGT) will consult with local communities, cities and municipalities to develop and manage the pan-European works and projects necessary for the GETT program.

iii. Through the GETT, we will introduce a European Anti-Seismic Plan to protect citizens and their communities from earthquake damage. The new plan will direct funds for (i) classification of seismic risk and the creation of a hazard map that is open to the public, (ii) renovation of buildings with high levels of vulnerability, and (iii) new construction of public buildings that are up to seismic standards.

2030 CLIMATE COMPACT

EDIT EARTHQUAKES-§ AND ADD CIRCULAR MANUFACTURING RESPECTIVELY CRADLE TO CRADLE

first I was a little bit puzzled why earthquakes showed up in the ecological transition section of the ESND. I didn’t see any connection to climate change until an expert in our thematic DSC pointed out that the weight pushed on the tectonic plates by additional water has already resulted in huge-scale topography-changes in the past. If earthquakes have an issue with climate change it should be explained.

Furthermore I suggest that by working on how to change our design and manufacturing processes we could resort on classic leftist arguments regarding the relations of production when it comes to the objective need of circular manufacturing to overcome planned obsolescence which is the main reason for the huge amounts of waste we produce on a daily basis. From there we could elaborate on sharing which is mentioned in the header but doesn’t appear in the paragraphs at all.

I am with Johannes here. It seems unnecessary, to mention the whole of Europe as a beneficiary of such a policy. It certainly would have seemed to fit better within a larger scheme of environmentally friendly infrastructural reform. It is incredibly important that we are able to mitigate the dangers of earthquakes, but why do we not talk about prevention, about the causes of such dramatic events. In the end, we do need votes, but why not deserve those votes through honest assessments on the current state of the environment rather than grabbing onto whatever is hanging lowest.

It is necessary to question the structure of the present economic system based on growth if we want to tackle the ecological catastrophe that is already underway. Proposing approaches that are only cosmetically while keeping the underlying problems intact will surely not suffice.

For those interested in shared, green prosperity, please help me with my post here 2030 CLIMATE COMPACT.

Sorry I don’t agree with this idea. Interest we have to pay to private investors is mostly to high.
When we implement a European cooperative peoples bank (ecpb) we can reduce the interest above the inflation rate to only:

• Financing public projects 0.1% till 0.2% per year
  • Financing (social) houses 0.3% till 0.5% per year
  • Financing other things 1% till 1.5% per year

The Peoples bank can finance all projects we want and people at local (City / neigborhood level) decide together the projects they want. We don’t need a range of European investment banks to do this.

Maybe this is interesting for DIEM25

To get back to programme discussion, some points by Vienna DSC1 on the NEW DEAL FOR NATURE:

Pt. III. Seeing as the European spring programme suggests ending all agricultural subsidies, DSC1 considers it as important to recognise the work of European farmers as the most fundamental contribution to our society. Adding an appreciative clause such as, “European farmers as the most fundamental guardians of our standard of living deserve…” would prevent misunderstandings.

Moreover, DSC1 suggests adding some sort of promise to our farmers, indicating that “don’t worry, everything going to be alright, we know how to do it”.

In addition, DSC1 endorses the adding of a clause ensuring that small farmers would be the main focus of our agricultural policies, rather than big industrial farming complexes.

Is there more discussion on this in the forum? It could be fundamental to the cause

What do you think of the idea that Aline Aurias and I submited independently (hello to her if she reads me)?

It consists of building our finance strategy on the basis of the Call for a European Climate Finance Pact made by economist Pierre Larrouturou and former IPCC president Jean Jouzel.

The Call suggests to use the same tools used to save the financial system (quantitative easing, etc.), and to raise 3 European taxes on carbon emissions, financial transactions and compagny benefits. It would finance European energy transition (1,000 Bn €/year), international aid and give EU a rely budget.

You can learn more on climate - 2020 . eu

Green prosperity starts with implementing as much as possible cradle-to-cradle thinking, circular economy, and low-tech technologies use for selected fields (household, transports, agriculture…) to avoid renewable and non-renewable resources depletion (metals…) that are actually consumed with an exponential trend growth.

Il will soon be 50 years since the Limits to Growth Report 1972. A transnational Movement must adopt a Global Vision for empowering sustainability on the broad, deep sense.
Action must take from there, and some people in Europe are calling for it.
The Carbon Tax will certainly be one of the main instruments to make a change in EU/world Politics.
In this sense an article of mine addresses the issue, showing the climate potential of a Carbon tax to motor fuels.

The energy fundamentals of the economic system should more broadly be incorporated in the ES movement and I hope to be able to give my contribution to that, in whatever form.
Regards,
Giancarlo