Democracy or a pan-european Left Party?

I’ve only just read the program. I know I should have read and commented earlier. I don’t object to any of the things in the program. But I must admit I’m very confused. The program sounds exactly like a program of any left party. I thought DiEM was about increasing transparency and true citizen participation in Europe - not a detailed political agenda.

The way I see it, that goal is enough for DiEM: democracy & transparency. Then the citizens can decide for themselves. If we remove the corporate power and make sure the citizen’s rights are protected, the values stated in the program stand a chance. The left parties, the humanitarian and environmental networks and all kinds of progressive movements stand a chance. I thought that was the purpose of DiEM. Not a new pan-european party, but a better more democratic Europe.

I do think it’s important that DiEM is open and honest about its values. That’s differenent from writing a detailed program though. So, I’d propose rewriting the program so that it clearly states that these are the values of DiEM members, but the citizens will decide the actual policies.

you have read the manifesto