Enlightenment in Europe through European High Schools for intensifying cooperation opportunities. The idea is to increase people’s interest and knowledge so that cooperation in Europe can be increased. The European High School can begin its establishing in a country where all European citizens can apply to get in. It would be a good idea to let the EU pay the investment in such a school. A good place to start could be Denmark that has tradition for such schools. The goal must be that all countries build one or more European High Schools. The main subjects at the school could be:
- Social understanding (an insight into how a society works and can make sense. In our modern society, the tendency to create system people it has become problematic. A person’s education must be in such way, that it is directed to take a certain function in society, whereas human life is a private matter, only if there is space and time for it. It is true that human life is a private matter, but society as a whole must create space for the private. Create time and space for the living world. In the old classics, one had the goal of letting others do the work so that there was time to philosophize over life and live the life. Love and care belong to the world of life, like personal development. The enjoyment of using their abilities and possibilities belongs to the world of life. The system world and world of life are not necessarily separated, but there is a clear tendency for the system world to absorb the world of life. The system world is what society is building up and the individual citizen must adapt. Here there is not always room for being a human being).
- Political history (the various political theories and directions).
- Philosophy (philosophy of history and training in thinking clearly and sharply).
- Cultural history for the purpose of orientation and understanding of other cultures.
- Language and understanding (training in understanding language in general. It is by means of language that mainly we communicate with each other. The language usually has a sender and a recipient. It is important that the sender and receiver have the same understanding of what is send. If the understanding is too different than difficulties arise. A good language base provides opportunities. Basically, regarding our thinking language, the better the linguistic basis, the better possibilities we have for complex, complicated and comprehensive thinking. A good linguistic background is also the basis for mathematical and logical thinking. If the language cannot follow, it’s incredibly difficult to understand and handle complex issues. When we develop language, we also develop the comprehension sphere, which requires knowledge).
- Human understanding (it is NOT for the purpose of psychology. A society must take into account the nature of humans. Is a human being determined or free, perhaps something in between? Throughout history one has considered the human being in a very different way. The concept of freedom, which is a prerequisite for people to make choices and take responsibility, has been and is perceived to its extremes. Many religions have perceived the individual as the rule of higher powers, so you cannot be held responsible for anything. Still others will perceive human beings as totally free and therefore must take absolute responsibility).
- Ethics (review of different ethical theories).
- Critical theory (general training in reading, understanding and reflecting).
- History specific to the countries (like an overview of the history of the different countries).
- The history and challenges of democracy (Should a democracy work, it must first and foremost be a community of committed citizens who intend to create the best possible conditions for the individual as well as for all. Legislation is the foundation of a society, but at the same time one cannot legislate on democracy, but legislation is important and necessary as a framework for democracy. A democracy can only work if the population wants it and at the same time take responsibility for it)
The offer is to be given especially to young and younger people, but the elderly must definitely not be ruled out as they have a large life experience that sometimes can count more than the theory. Choosing disciplines may be different, but it is important that the school is contributing to the developing of individual understanding base and positive critical thinking, so that we get away from the fact that people, generally, all too easy indulge in being carried away without reflection. On the other hand, it requires a great deal of general knowledge to be able to relate oneself critically to different situations of cultural and political nature.