European school system, a proposal

Idea is to promote in whole Europe a standard affordable schoolsystem:

• Free public basic school (10 years)
  • Free public middle school (3 years)
  • Free public higher education (mostly blocks of 2 years)
  • No school tution fees and no student loans
  • Basic income for children and students

The costs are afordable when we streamline the system / we can safe in general about 1 study year.
Giving people more years education is not creating better result for ecnomy, society and the people self.

BASIC SCHOOL (for age 5 till 15)
Idea for the basicschool is based at the system in Finland

Every one must learn at basicschool their local state language and English, people who want can learn more languages.

In many countries the food in the schoolcafetaria is bad, to improve health and quality of life we must improve this for example to the France school cefeteria level

MIDDLE SCHOOL
There are 2 directions:

• General education (European high school)(for age 15 till 18)
  • Job oriented education (for age 15 till 18 and shorter courses for older people)

HIGHER EDUCATION

• Associate degree
  • Bachelor degree
  • Master degree
  • Etc.

People need to finish each step to be allowed to go to the next step and stacking courses to complete the level they want. Reason for this is that many people don’t finish their school / higher educaton and have no paper / qualification after spending x years at education.

BASIC INCOME FOR CHILDREN AND STUDENTS
First priority is to give all children and students in whole Europe an amount of money per month enough to buy food, drinks, clothings, books and other things they need for school and public transport if needed.
When there is financial space left we can think about giving students money to rent a studentroom too.

A good proposal. I would suggest you edit it to include the other school/university/education topics and threads. Some parts of that education goal are simple to go for on the European level - like exchange programs - others like the school system are difficult and maybe take a few years. Lets put them all together for the education we wish and then try to take the steps to take for our next manifesto. I would really like to have one day a month where all education facilities are open to everyone so I can experience what schools or universities are like in a country I know nothing about. When enough people see that some parts of education can be done a lot better than what they experienced, they will be open for true change. Go to Finland, and see first hand how they do :wink:

So you’re planning to make a same education system in all European countries? Why? Some of them, at least, have a good education tradition that I don’t see why to dismiss. Also, uniformation of cultural differences is not empowering, is impoverishing the cultural richness that make Europe what it is.

Please help us with what exactly the good education traditions are. The school system of the future will increase cultural richness - most of today’s education traditions are killing it. Where there are good ideas, we will take them. Please give us examples.

Hi everyone!
I am Portuguese boy that searches A LOT about innovative education. Because of that, I’ll give my opinion about this.
To the people that will read this, I have to say that the change in education is urgent! Here is why:

1. The mental health is an important issue in all Europe. Problems like depression, anxiety or ADHD (hiperactivity) reaches more and more young people. In my opinion, education is the guilty. A child can’t stay sat so many time. Why schools don’t worry with the happiness of the children? And with sad people, the suicide rate increases a lot…

2. All the world is changing so fast. In almost every sector of the society had started a change. In education, this didn’t happen. Search in the Youtube about “I just sued the school system”.

3. In the future, all will be different. The world is changing so fast… A lot of works will disappear. In my opinion, the school should develop more important skills that will be important in the future. According with a lot of studies, critical thinking, cooperation and creativity will be essencial to get a job.

I agree with Maria_Teresa_S. I think that every community is different. Because of that, the change should start by asking teachers and students about what changes should exist to have a better society. Just that step, will make a giant progress.
Thank you.
Manuel Ruiz

Education is, of course, a fundamental pillar of the formation of any society, wherever and however it’s done.

I generally agree that Hans_v’s proposal is a better way to educate towards a healthy society - and there is much to applaud in the example of education in Finland shown in the video, assuming the picture it presents is balanced.

A couple of comments:

A division of students (if I understand the proposal for Middle School, a division between students who do General education and those who do Job-orientated education) used to exist in both England & Wales, and Spain - where I have teaching experience, In England & Wales this division into two kinds of school (in distinct school buildings) created a stigma of inferiority amongst the Job-orientated education students and a sense of superiority amongst the “academic” students.

I believe it is possible to overcome this social “apartheid”, but only if all students are educated to value all other students and their different individual skills and achievements; this will not happen in schools working within the kind of competitive, performance-driven system we have today. I would also recommend that these two “groups” of students study on the same school premises, not be separated into distinct schools; then they could continue to share some “academic” classes with the “academic” students (mathematics, literary and technological skills seem appropriate to both groups up to 18 years of age, for example) who would continue to mix with them, and vice versa, socially. (Some “academic” students would also be able to follow some “Job-orientated” classes - simple studies in employment, career development and the variety of employment possibilities existing would be useful to all students.)

I am most concerned, however, about the suggestion of students having to repeat years/steps before they can go on to the next year at school. This policy exists in Spain and my experience is that it creates and reinforces failure in many of these students; some become completely uninterested in school and just waste time until they can leave school - and in Spain students can only repeat a school year once; what happens if students “fail” more than one year? Won’t this stigmatise them amongst their peers in the class?

I would prefer a system that acknowledges the limitations (whether physical or intellectual) of individual students (most of us have some limitations after all) and - while emphasising the value of the skills and abilitiest they do have - works to help these students to overcome, where possible, particular difficulties as they progress normally through the years of education. Not all students will be able to achieve everything, no matter how many times they are stopped from going on to the next step of schooling.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on these proposals; it’s this kind of involvement that makes me think DiEM may actually offer the people of Europe a bright, democratic future.

My Idea is no repeating schoolyears in each school block (basicschool, middle school and highereducation).
I understand the problem with the two directions in the middle school.
For me it’s ok to make one general middle school where students can take all kind of courses they want.
One problem I see is employers don’t understand what skills employees have,
when they have no standard set of education but all kind of some non related courses.
Other problem I see most people will have many different kind of jobs over their lifetime,
giving children skills for one kind of job is no good too.

I agree entirely Hans, that youngsters will likely change their job - the kind of job - several times over their lifetime. I’ve referred in more detail to the kind of educational practice I think is necessary to prepare them for this in the discussion “European Education - DISCUSS POLICY” thread on the DiEM25 pages, which includes more interesting ideas by others.

Hello Education friends, it is very confusing when there are so many forums…I thought I was involved in the Education DSC via Mattermost…and have been involved in the only 2 video meetings that I think there have been and made various suggestions for review and comment…which have not had any…, only to find more life here on a forum I didn’t know about.
It might be good to consolidate working practices to one or 2 places only don’t you think people? Chris :slight_smile:

Yes, Chris, agreed; but I’ve no idea how to do it.

Hi Jon,
Here is an invite link to Mattermost…when I first try to join it I found it a real pain…:slight_smile:

https:/ X mattermost.diem25-connect.eu/signup_user_complete/?id=gfnorzshafr6xgp1nx6g5rfnwc

Also a link to the consensus page which was started to try to identify common ground for developing the Education DSC

https:/ X www.konsensieren.eu/k1gfc3pat

Because this page won’t allow links I have put a X where a second / should be so it will need putting in for the link to work.

Good Luck…will chat more when I have time…bye for now. Chris

Hello Everyone,
Just to let you know that we have the 3rd Zoom meeting organised by Education DSC on Sunday 4th November at 20:00 …the agenda is already posted on the Mattermost DSC page (folow this link to join Education DSC page if you haven’t already and then join ‘Meetings’ to view post: [remove the word ‘space’ to get live link] https:/space/mattermost.diem25-connect.eu/signup_user_complete/?id=gfnorzshafr6xgp1nx6g5rfnwc) and link to Zoom page will also be posted there just before meeting time. :wink:

Chris, el problema está en que si los foros solo están en inglés estamos limitando la capacidad de intervención.
He estado leyendo el foro este, aunque entiendo perfectamente todas la intervenciones, no me siento capaz de intervenir en inglés a muchas de las propuestas que allí se hacen por miedo a no expresar exactamente mis ideas. Seria bueno que cada uno pudiera expresarse en su idioma y que, a través de herramientas informáticas, intentara cada uno de conseguir la mejor comprensión posible de lo expuesto.

I agree strongly with the post by Jon_Lindsay_M regarding the FInnish System and a non-exam-based con-competitive education system.

También, Ramon_T, entiendo la problema, pero sin una flotilla de traductores, estamos atrapado en islas de nuestros idiomas. Eso es la problema que tenemos como un grupo, pen-europea de la proletaria-progressiva.

Hello.
My thoughts regarding pan-European education system are the following:
Regarding repetition on blocks I agree that it shouldn’t be there, to begin with.
Some areas are different among peoples of Europe and those differences lead to different educational systems, but we can agree to have at some point, some common parts, such as European History, to unite us all.
School level should have nothing to do with job related skills. Those are for post-school education. There should be techincal education not only universities, though.
Bringing English to lower levels of school, can let us bring Erasmus programs down from Universities to high school, to forge international cultural bonds, at younger ages.

Education will not be able to offer skills for multiple high-expertise positions. That will take to much time of them, and that is not the purpose. What we can do, is to help youngsters have more educated guesses on what they might like to excel at, and at the same time to be able to adapt on more trivial things. If they get lucky to do what they expel, we have to make sure that they like that.

Regarding annual failures/ repeating years, it should not happen often and it should be last resort, when something special happened. At higher education, there is the concept of co-operation on projects, where everyone contributes and we all learn together. Bringing that down to lower levels of education, could forge team-work bonds among kids.
They absolutely like to play together. Why not study together?