Women's Day all Year Long

Today, Women’s Day is the day to acknowledge and support feminism as a movement for radical change. Feminism is about all of us, fighting the roots of discrimination and violence, proposing a much more humane society that respects and celebrates all differences. It is a movement against a patriarchal system of male supremacy that imposes violence and exploitation on all of us.

Feminism goes beyond fighting capitalism and class discrimination; it is also about fighting patriarchy, which is gender discrimination. It has created a new sort of awareness on the need for rethinking and changing our modes of production and reproduction.

Feminism is, if not the most, one of the most progressive forces in the world today. It cuts across origin, racial, class or caste differences, uniting all women and men in a common struggle for the liberation of womankind and of mankind.
This struggle meets the socio-economic and political aspirations of the radical left and of DIEM. Fully supporting and advancing the demands of the feminist movement is possibly one of the best strategies for achieving our democratization objectives all year long.

Carpe Diem
Susana Roson

I prefer humanism - it’s more inclusive and comprehensive.

Good post. I have no problem with Women’s Day every day, bring it on, why not. But for balance, if I said let’s have a Men’s Day every day too, I’d feel in violation of my supposed privilege of being born male because, by accident of birth, ‘we’ have traditionally been assigned relatively more privileged and dominant roles, and I fear I’d be asking for more than I’ve been supposedly given. Can we have a culture based on total mutual respect, regardless of gender? I’d like to think so. I want that.

My concern is that I think we have been raised to perpetuate each other’s gender as separate, different, unconnected, isolated, differently ruled and regulated. I lament how it seems to be that unhealthy dominating forces around the world tend to be male centred, since I don’t know when. I did not ask to be born male or female, I happen to be male, and I just want a humanity that is full of peace, respect, fairness, kindness, and progress, REGARDLESS of which gender anyone was born as, or might care to identify with/as.

I lament how inequalities give rise to grudges, suspicion, reaction, etc. so easily, and can therefore be manipulated by sick media and their puppet masters, etc.

I realise I am probably very ignorant of all the hot issues currently in discussion in this field. I sincerely want everyone to be and feel wanted, worthwhile, respected, valued, and no less than the trees and the stars. Let’s all be amazing together, regardless of who and how we are.

(Is any of this at all reasonable? Feedback welcome please. Peace!)

Hi Matt, I understand and share your good feelings. Indeed, if we all respected each other, there would be no problem whatsoever and we would all have an amazing time together as you say.

Unfortunately, the situation at present, all over the world, is that women are not fully respected as persons. Just take a look at some statistics, take the UN reports on violence against women in our world. You will see that last year more than 80000 women have been killed by their partners or close relatives. This does not include those women who were raped, sexually aggressed, humiliated, dispossessed, exploited and so on just because they are women. Those victims might not be in the mood to join the party.

If you allow me making a parallel, the issue of gender discrimination has a lot in common with racism. It might console a black who is being abused just for being black that a white tells her that you are not racist and that you wish everybody would live in harmony. However, this expression of sympathy does not solve her problem.

If you tell this black person on the day against xenophobia that you want a white man’s day every day, she might see it as a provocation, since our world is still ruled by white men.

It is only when we actively engage trying to better understand, listening to the women around us, supporting them in our everyday life, with zero tolerance towards any ‘micro-machism’, abuse or discrimination, be it in our family, with our friends, at work, in our club, etc. and join the struggle for equal rights and opportunities, that things start moving forward.

This awareness and complicity is also a path of personal transformation, and it is what might bring about the desired changes for all of us.

Yesterday at the Women’s demonstration in Brussels a banner read: “If you do not respect by existence, expect my resistance”.

Thanks Susana, I appreciate your perspective, and am happy to support all actions to bring this figure down to zero. Please point me to e.g. a top 10 list of activities we can all embrace to improve the situation. I guess not all of us operate out of kindness and respect. Men and women are naturally different generally speaking, and that’s right and good, but this is no excuse for anything less than maximum regard. No brother of mine would ever degrade a woman in any way.

Could feminism be called something else though, so that it’s not linguistically biased towards one gender? That’s what I’d like to explore, and I fear it’s what polarises some people to criticise it. I just want us all to get on well, as I’ve said :slight_smile:

Dear Matt, this is an interesting conversation. I am not particularly interested in a discussion on terminology or semantics. But if you find a better term than feminism, please tell us.

Regarding activities to further our cause against discrimination, you will find a few ideas in the European Spring Programme itself, regarding parity, quotas, equal pay and taxation reforms among others, all of which are aimed at improving the quality of life for all of us.

At a more personal level, I would suggest any activity that can raise your own awareness: get informed reading feminist theory and the programmes meant at ending gender discrimination of various international, national and your own local organisations.

As I said in another message, be open and approach women in your own circle, simply ask them in which way they feel they are or have been subject to discrimination, harassment, sexist violence and what they would like to change.

You can also get in touch with feminist groups, hear their views and then present the ES political project and seek their support.

A lot of research has been made in the last 200 years on women’s identity and specific problems, but not so much has been studied about men. Therefore, I would propose that you and, why not, all other men start commenting on how they perceive manhood, masculinity and virility. Take a look at the negative masculine traits (the so-called toxic masculinity) that are harmful to men and to others, such as repressing your feelings, appearing tough even when you are not, and so on, and tell us about it.

Hi Susana,

Thanks for all your feedback, especially the practical suggestions, that’s a great selection of things for me to go and do. You’re right, nobody seems to talk about ‘masculism’, and from my limited view, us as men seem to have fewer institutions in which to discuss and work on our very being and identity. Thanks for your patience with my awkward approach to this. Love and peace!